RED LENTIL DAHL
Such a delicious dish packed full of flavour and quick to put together. Once you've made it once you'll want to make it all the time.
Red Lentil Dahl
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20mins
Total Time: 30 mins
Difficulty: Level 1
130g Red Lentils (washed)
1 tsp Oil of your choice - I use Rapeseed or
Coconut for cooking
1 Tomato - Chopped
1 Onion - Chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic - Crushed
2 Cardamom Pods - Split
1 Cinnamon Stick
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
Thumb size piece of Ginger Root - Minced
1tsp Ground Turmeric
1 Fresh Chilli Pepper
Juice 1/2 Lemon
Handful of Fresh Coriander - Chopped
Salt to taste
1. Pop the rinsed red lentils in a pot with water (room temp) and simmer on medium for 20 minutes.
2. While the lentils are cooking heat oil in a pan over a medium heat - add cumin seeds, cardamom pods, and cinnamon stick and cook for around a minute, until it becomes fragrant.
4. Add onion and cook for 1 minute, add garlic, fresh chilli and ginger and cook for 3 - 4mins. Until onions are translucent.
5. Add turmeric, salt, and tomato to the pan and cook until tomato is falling apart, roughly 2 - 3mins. Pick out cinnamon stick (and cardamom pods if you can)
6. Stir in the tomato and spice mix to the lentils, add the lemon juice and stir well. Simmer for 5mins - if it is a wee bit watery then just simmer on low until it thickens to your liking, if it looks too dry just add a wee bit of water.
Mix through some of the coriander and then sprinkle a wee bit on top to serve.
Serve on its own or with our delicious Flatbreads as a side